Charleston, SC – August 1, 2000 – In the Midlands region of South Carolina, international trade is a vital component of the economy. Recent analysis shows that:
- Every year, the ten largest exporters in the Midlands region ship more than 350,000 tons of products through the Port of Charleston – that’s two million pounds every day.
- In the Midlands region, there are 248 exporters employing 43,115 people.
- What International Business Means to the Midlands Region – The Annual Economic Impact of Trade through the Ports Authority
- Companies Make $1.5 Billion in Sales
- Residents Earn $389 Million in Wages
- State and Local Governments Collect $46.5 Million in Taxes